Celebrate Your Day - IN THREE WORDS

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sleeping With the Fishes

Since we were little kids my sister and I have wanted our own pool.  We always lived on Post and could always go to the officers club pool, but it isn't like being able to open your back door and flop into your very own pool.  So when I moved here and began sharing a house with my sister and niece we invested into our first pool.

OK, picture this...an "aero" blow up pool, it looked like a pea green/yellow giant lasagna pan.  We would fill it up on Saturday and we could hang out and if we were lucky by Sunday afternoon before we dumped it out pre-slimey water time hits, Bug might put her little face in the water.

Following years we got a small round pool with a little pump and could spend more than Saturday and Sunday in water in our backyard, we are big girls now!! The next year a little larger round and deeper, we are cooking now!

Finally my sister took the giant step and bought an above ground pool.  A real live pool that could hold more than the three of us. And is the scene of this particular story.

Shortly after the new pool was installed and the solar panels warmed the water enough to get in comfortably the adventure begins.  My sister was out for a meeting so it was just Bug and I on the maiden voyage into the big girl pool.  I step up onto the ladder, step one, step two, step three and the platform before going in.  Left foot on the platform, right foot catches on the platform and I pitch forward and face plant into the pool.  Chlorinated water rushes past my face and deep into my sinus cavities without permission I might add.  I come out of the water to see Bug.  Her face is tilted like a dog hearing a odd sound and she says "What was that?" Trying to be cool (which I'm so not) I just shrugged as if I meant to do it and swam away.  She wasn't fooled by this, but out of respect just let it be.  She got in and we played and goofed off for well over an hour before my sister got home.  Sitting at the table on the patio closest to the pool I was hanging on the side of the pool just chatting and realized the water was cooling off and it was time to get out.  So I let Bug go first.  Up, over and out and wrapped in her towel.  My turn.  Up...up...ok, up...ummmm.  Let's try this again.  Up! My body responded with a resounding NOPE!  I look at my sister who hasn't quite figured out what I already know and that is I'm stuck and can't get out the pool.  With a deer in the headlight look I inform her in a smallish whisper. "I'm stuck, I can't pull myself out of here"  I don't know if it was really funny, hysteria or just my warped sense of humor but I crack up.   The family joins in and my sister keeps saying, "I'm sorry I'm laughing, but you're laughing"  Bug is laughing, but I don't really thinks she was 100% clear as to what was funny.

In a moment of complete brilliance, I decide if I back up about four feet from the side I can take a run and throw my leg over and haul my ass out.  OK, have you ever tried to run and pick up speed in five feet of water?  Give you a tip, can't be done.  Now the laughter is beginning to erupt louder as the gravity of the situation is hitting us.  I can't get out of this pool, I don't have the upper body strength to do it.  What the hell do we do?  Exhausted from trying to get out and laughing I've now flopped over the side of the pool that overlooks our Koi pond and announce "I'm going to be sleeping with the fishes, aren't I?"  Laughter continues with a slight change of funny to oh hell and we spot the step stool.  I said, "OK, get me two Frisbees to put under the stools legs so we don't poke a hole in the bottom plastic of the pool and I'll climb it and get over to the ladder and out I'll come."  Congratulating myself on my brilliant idea we scour the yard for the Frisbees while the step stool is hoisted over into the pool.  I park the plastic disks of freedom under the legs and now eye my escape route to warm, dry sanctuary.

So with renewed hope I climb up the step stool and eye the ladder that has thwarted my exit for the last hour and step over to the top rung with my right foot.  I swing my left foot over the top and to the other top rung outside the pool and am now straddling this ladder from hell and realize I'm a little tired.  So in a brief moment of insanity I think sitting down in this position was the most viable option.  With a horrified look on her face my sister yells "For God sakes Shiela, don't sit down!!"  Too late!  Exhausted laughter begins again and I realize that if I'm to get out of this mess I need to keep mosing.  I take the last of my strength and stand up and swing over the right leg and maneuver myself down to my escape.

While still drying off I began writing this whole thing in my head. But once again I made my lemonade from my soggy waterlogged lemons!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember this like it was yesterday. That flimsy set of steps sat behind the shed for years as if it were there to remind you of that fine day. (Is it still there?)

Of course, this led to the purchase of the much more exciting stairs. I hope to see of of those stories in future episodes.

Hugs